The solution to your wish fulfilment
iwishihad disclaimer, 9 November 2003:
The following information is supplied in good faith to help those interested in "Going ISDN." It should not be taken as absolutely correct. The reader should consult Telstra's and Bigpond's current FAQs to confirm the following comments. Early research was helped by information posted on Simon Wright's excellent "Whirlpool." Another useful reference is HERE: iwishihad takes no responsibility for the currency of the following data as plans change very fast.
If you are loyal to Bigpond you can get ONLY two Bigpond ISDN HIP's
- A Bigpond ISDN 500 MByte plan costing @ $91 / month for a 3 month contract.
- A Bigpond ISDN 1 GByte plan costing @ $112 / month for a 3 month contract.
- Telstra will "cap" (i.e. NOT charge you the ISDN timed data calls) providing:--
- You MUST dial into Bigpond's Megapop (01983xxx) to use these plans.
- If you dial into a non-Bigpond Megapop (01983xxx) telephone number YOU WILL BE CHARGED ISDN CHARGES of 30c / hour for one line and 60c per hour for two lines.
- If you decide to take the Bigpond Megaplan at 700 MBytes (@$37/month, a 3 month contract) YOU WILL BE CHARGED THE STANDARD ISDN 30C/60C PER HOUR DATA CHARGES ALTHOUGH YOU DIAL INTO BIGPOND'S MEGAPOP!!
- You will also get two analogue telephone lines:
- that should cost the equivalent of the Telstra Homeline Plus Plan (17.5c per local call, untimed)
- BUT STD calls will be more expensive during the day but $1.50/call untimed after 17:00 weekdays and after 16:00 Saturdays.
- NOTE: The two above points are not disclosed on the Bigpond site. You will HAVE TO CLARIFY THESE WITH TELSTRA AND HOPE THE PERSON YOU TALK TO HAS, ALREADY, BEEN TO AN ISDN SKILLS-UPGRADE!
- If you decide on the above, you will have to contact Telstra to connect you to the ISDN service and get a CD with the ISDN Bigpond "fulfilment" Pack on it. They WILL ASSUME YOU WANT THE Bigpond ISDN HIP! BEWARE!
- This CD will have a number on it that will allow you to activate your chosen Bigpond plan once the ISDN hardware is installed. (You may get two or three of these CD "fulfilment" packs all with different numbers on.)
- This number tells Telstra to cap your datacall charges as you have already paid the Bigpond plan joining charge.
- The cost of this installation if you are already a Telstra customer is around $190 with some special offers appearing from time-to-time.
- Telstra will want you to change all billing to them if you are with another Telco.